Happy North Face / Kathmandu season!
It’s official, winter is fully in swing and anywhere you go there will easily be a sea of puffer jackets. Jackets, that we’re almost certain are easier to wash than you ever did imagine.
All you need is some detergent (really all of ours should do but if in doubt use delicate), two tennis balls and your jacket.
Here’s our step by step guide to keeping your fluff fluff’n, cozy and warm.
- Always read the care labels, no jacket is made the same.
- Remove any obvious stains with a soft damp cloth.
- Empty the pockets! Get those airpods out!
- Zip up all of the pockets and turn the jacket inside out.
- Wash with a mild, gentle cycle and any of our detergents.
- If you can run an extra rinse cycle instead of a spin cycle at the end.
- Lay the jacket flat to drip dry and keep fluffing it up (this could take up to two days) Whatever you do, don't wring it!
- Finally, when it’s almost drip dry, put it in the dryer on a low heat cycle with a few tennis balls (trust us it helps fluff up the down layer inside!)
If you’ve still going through ‘maybe-i’ll-ruin-it-though’ anxiety you can also play it really safe and hand wash your puffer jackets. Just soaking your jacket for up to an hour in mildly warm water and using one of our detergents. To dry use the same steps 7 and 8 above!
How often you wash your puffer is really up to you and how often you wear it or get dirty.
It’s important to remember though that a clean down layer will keep you a lot warmer than a dirty one so we’d recommend cleaning twice or more a season.
Looking after your winter warmers properly ensures its longevity and performance. What’s more sustainable than whipping the same puffer out season after season?